Ski and Snowboarding Resorts in Spain
Skiing is a relatively popular sport in Spain. As well as being famous for its hot climate, Spain has a number of mountain ranges ideally suited for skiing and winter sports. For this reason there are 34 ski resorts scattered throughout Asturias, Cantabria, Galicia, Castilla y Le贸n, La Rioja, Catalonia, Arag贸n, the region of Madrid and Andalucia.
Skiing first became popular in Spain in 1908. The sport began in the province of Barcelona (in the Peguera peaks) and, initially, it was mainly self-taught. The Spanish Ski Federation (Federaci贸n Espa帽ola de Esqu铆) was founded in 1941, which led to an increase in the sport's popularity among Spaniards as skilled instructors came to Spain from central European countries.
Skiing in the Sierra Nevada (region of Andalusia, southern Spain)
Skiing is one of the most important sports in the province of Granada. The Sierra Nevada is made up of countless interconnected and high-quality ski slopes. The Pico del Veleta lies within the boundaries of the Sierra Nevada ski resort which, with an altitude of 3,392m, is the highest of all the mountains in the Iberian Peninsula.
Skiing in the Pyrenees
The Pyrenees mountain range has excellent conditions for skiing, although the majority of its ski resorts are situated in the eastern and axial zones which have particularly outstanding conditions for skiing, snowboardin and other winter sports. The regions of Arag贸n and Catalonia have the best infrastructures for skiing and the practice of winter sports. Catalonia is the spanish region with the largest influx of visitors when the winter resorts open for business each season.
- La Molina - Hotels in La Molina
- La Masella - Hotels near La Masella ski resort
- Vallter 2000 - Hotels near the Vallter 2000 ski resort
- Vall de N煤ria - Hotels near the Vall de N煤ria ski resort
- Baqueira Beret - Hotels near the Baqueira Beret ski resort
- Bo铆 Ta眉ll Resort - Hotels near the Bo铆 Taull Resort
- Espot Esqu铆 - Hotels in L茅rida
- Port Ain茅 - Hotels near the Port Ain茅 ski resort
- Port Del Compte - Hotels near the Port Del Compte ski resort
- Ast煤n - Hotels near the Ast煤n ski resort
- Candanch煤 - Hotels in Candanch煤
- Formigal - Hotels near the Formigal ski resort
- Panticosa - Hotels in Panticosa
Ski resorts in Andorra
- Grandvalira with a total slope area of 193 km. and 930 m. of drop.
- The Soldeu/El Tarter sector
- The Pas de la Casa/Grau Roig sector
- The Pal/Arinsal sector: 63 km. of slopes and 1,010 m. of drop
- The Ordino/Arcalis sector: 30 km. of slopes and 685 m. of drop
Skiing in the Cantabrian Mountain Range
The Cantabrian mountain range offers excellent conditions for skiing, although the low altitude location of its ski resorts has occasionally led to problems with low snow levels. The ski resorts on the mountain range are small and sloping, and are mainly aimed at local skiers.
- Valgrande-Pajares, region of Asturias - Hotels near the Valgrande-Pajares ski resort
- Fuentes de Invierno, region of Asturias - Hotels near the Fuentes de Invierno ski resort
- San Isidro, province of Le贸n - Hotels in Le贸n
- Leitariegos, province of Le贸n - Hotels in Le贸n
- El Morredero, province of Le贸n - Hotels in Le贸n
- Alto Campo , region of Cantabria - Hotels in Cantabria
- Lunada, province of Burgos - Hotels in Burgos
- Manzaneda, province of Orense - Hotels near the Manzaneda ski resort
- Trevinca, province of Orense
Fully functioning until the end of the 1970s. Although no ski lifts are currently in operation, it is a good place to practise mountain and cross-country skiing. There is also a rural Tourism Office.
Skiing in the Iberian System (Northern Spain)
The group of mountains that make up the Iberian system don't have a high enough altitude or the correct orientation to get the amount of snow fall required for skiing. However, two mountain masses are located at both the north and south ends of the mountain range on which skiing is possible on a regular basis. The north of the Demanda mountain range and the Urbi贸n peaks are also excellent locations for skiing. The southern regions of los Montes Universales have good conditions for alpine and cross-country skiing.
- Valdezcaray, province of La Rioja - Hotels near the Valdezcaray Ski Resort
- Valle del Sol, province of Burgos - Hotels in Burgos
- Javalambre, province of Teruel - Hotels near the Javalambre Ski Resort
- Valdelinares, province of Teruel - Hotels in Teruel
Skiing in the Central System
The central mountain range, situated between the provinces of Madrid and Segovia, also has highly suitable conditions for skiing and winter sports. The Navacerrada, Valdesqui and la Pinilla ski resorts (the latter situated in Segovia), together with the Covatilla resort in Salamanca are the main ski stations in the central system.
- Valdesqu铆, province of Madrid - Hotels near the Valdesqu铆 ski resort
- Puerto de Navacerrada, province of Madrid - Hotels near the Puerto de Navacerrada ski resort
- La Pinilla, province of Segovia - Hotels near La Pinilla ski resort
- La Covatilla, province of Salamanca - Hotels near La Covatilla ski resort